Thursday, February 9, 2012

Chocolate Cinnamon Dessert Nachos {Recipe & Tutorial}

 photo thenewbakingmemoirs_zps410cbd72.jpg
So if you've never had dessert nachos before you are probably thinking "What?!" Well that's what I thought when I heard about the concept. After just one bite, I was hooked. They are super simple, super yummy, and super ADDICTING! 

My Sione and I helped chaperon a prom put on by some of the youth from church last month and we got to help a lot with keeping the dessert table stocked! I got some great tips and ideas from some of the more experienced bakers too! When I saw all of the components to this little snack I thought, "What?! Cinnamon Tortilla chips...yes, chocolate and macadamia nuts...yes, but all together in one yummy dessert? Why hadn't I thought of that?!" 

The chocolate sauce is what really put it over the top for me. I'd been eating cinnamon tortilla chips since collage and found that alone they are just heavenly. I immediately got the recipe for the chocolate sauce that night. I then went home and recreated this delightful treat two days later and took it to a relief society activity. It wasn't just me, everyone else couldn't get over the fact that these were so simple, so lite (probably not actually lite in calories but they appear to be), and SO SO ADDICTING! I was so sad when we ran out. In fact my husband even liked these and he is not the biggest cinnamon fan.

CHOCOLATE SAUCE RECIPE
Ingredients:
1/2 C. whipping cream
1/3 C. brown sugar
1 ounce unsweetened chocolate, chopped
3 Tbs melted butter
4 Tbs sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Directions:
1) In a small saucepan, heat the whipping cream, butter, and sugar on the stove on medium heat. Stirring constantly for about 3 minutes.
2) Remove from heat and stir in chocolate until the chocolate is all melted.
3) Stir in vanilla.
4) Allow to cool while you make the nachos.

CINNAMON SUGAR NACHO (yield 64 chips)
Ingredients:
1/2 Cup sugar
1/4 to 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon (depending on how much you like cinnamon)
4 Tbs melted butter
8 flour tortillas

Directions:
1)  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2) Melt butter and set aside.
3) Combine cinnamon and sugar in a small bowl.
4) Brush both sides of tortillas with butter and sprinkle one side with cinnamon and sugar mixture.
5) Cut tortillas into eighths and place pieces, cinnamon side up on a baking sheet. Be careful not to overlap them.
6) Bake for 8 minutes or until crisp.

HOW TO ASSEMBLE
1) Layer the bottom of a dish with some CINNAMON SUGAR NACHOS.
2) Drizzle chips with CHOCOLATE SAUCE.
3) Sprinkle with chopped pecans, macadamia nuts, or hazel nuts.
4) Repeat steps 1-3.

And there you have it, layers upon layers of yumminess. It's great for a party treat when you're on a tight budget or on any day of the week when you just want a little something sweet. Enjoy!
 photo thenewbakingmemoirs_zps410cbd72.jpg

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...