Sunday, November 27, 2011

It's a Boy Baby Shower

 photo thenewbakingmemoirs_zps410cbd72.jpg
 I recently helped throw a baby shower and had a lot of fun making the gifts and centerpieces. It took me a while to come up with the actual decorations. Baby things are always so cute and I've made a traditional diaper cake and a diaper bassinet in the past but I really wanted to do something a little more special this time. Determining gifts was simple. I crocheted the stuffed bunny, a beanie, and sewed a few burpcloths. A new mother can never have enough diapers so I bought an economy pack of size 1 diapers. Then I figured I could buy a bunch of other baby items and figure out how to use them all in the centerpieces and decor. That's one of my favorite things about baby shower centerpieces, you never have to worry about being stuck taking any of it home because it all goes home with the mommy!
The theme was "It's a boy!" because after 5 girls they were finally having a boy. With the theme in mind I was drawing a creative blank. So I searched the internet for some inspiration. I saw these cute little animal themed shower diaper centerpieces over at Pintrest:
Safari Diaper Cake centerpieces

Aren't they adorable. Luckily I had some "It's a Boy" ribbon. So I came up with these. I just rolled 4 diapers up and secured the roll with a rubber band. Then I wrapped with the ribbon and topped with a "It's a Boy" flower and some curled ribbon. The flower was made with some blue card stock and the center of the flowers are just cute cupcake toppers.

Next I made a few motorcycles out of two receiving blankets, more diapers, mittens, a bib, a bottle, and some more ribbon. They were cute after that, but I still thought that it needed something. So I found a license plate template and inserted the families name and "BAYBE" to give it just a little extra touch of personalization.
Now I had planned on just making another bassinet diaper cake, but then I thought to myself, "Bassinets and motorcycles do not go together ." (Yes I know the flowers don't really go with them either) So I was determined to somehow make a race car. Here's what we ended up with. The "grill" is a beanie, the frame of the car is made out of some diapers and wipes, more diapers for the wheels, and a burpcloth and receiving blanket to cover it all up. I wouldn't be able to do this again because I have no idea how I wrapped it to end up making it look like that. At the shower the little girls thought it was a stroller until they saw the back...
I added a little "Baby on Board" sign and another license plate. (If all else fails, add a sign that says what it's supposed to be, right?)
And I of course had to bake some semi-homemade Devil's food cupcakes. I made the toppers out of chocolate covered Oreo cookie bark (a rice crispy made with Oreo's instead of rice cereal)  and some creamy White Chocolate Frosting. I still haven't been able to find a cupcake tower or tree that will hold 2 dozen cupcakes so I decided to make my own. It was really simple, I just covered some boxes with scrapbook paper and a $0.37 poster board. I added some extra touches with the paper clothing clothes line. I won't be able to use it again but it went perfectly with all of the other decor in the room!
I'm hoping to be able to do this again for a girl next time!
 photo thenewbakingmemoirs_zps410cbd72.jpg

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...